Assalamualaikum and hello guys! It has been a long (too long) time since I wrote my last post. Back to the title, which one is better?
Handwritten notes? Typed notes? or Printed notes? (slides in the class) here you are Medical School edition :P
So basically, dalam post kali ini, I am going to share my experiences for these 3 types of notes!
1. Hand written notes
I use this style in block 1, where it is a burdensome hahaha for me. But hey, there’s still good things in something kan! So, the pros are
- Easy to remember // pap-pap dah hafal (some)
- sebab when we want to write, we need to read and understand before compile 2 to 3 sentences into single-short-tapi-padat kind of sentence. Dan tanpa sedar, I dah actually letak info yang dah ditulis into my long-term memory. (eh yeke)
- and sometimes, bila tersalah tulis notes, you have to write it again, so yes people! you can indirectly ter-hafal in that kind of way. sebab you tend to remember things that makes you rasa marah, sedih, geram or penat more than things that makes you happy. so, sapa je happy nak kena tulis benda sama 2 ke 3 kali right?
- Plus, your notes are in your own words @ simpler sentences. Bila you study for your upcoming exam, it should be faster than revising every single words from your lecturer's notes.
- Easy to refer again
- When you write your notes, you know exactly where you write/draw it. So, when it comes to examination week, it is being so helpful. You can just refer everything from your written notes. Like I said before, your notes are in your own words. So, it should be easier for you to refer to your notes again!
- Tips: guna warna highlighter yang berlainan, untuk info yang berlainan. I think, you can use
- kuning untuk explanation
- merah jambu untuk the key points
- blue for what the lecturers emphasized! (but i dont do this people. i highlight what i want with any colour i want haha)
- Nice and pretty // sedap mata memandang
- There are a lot of colours, (if you use lots). As for me, I like to color things and draw simple shapes to decorate my notes.
- The benefits comes 2 in 1, as this is kind of mind-theraphy di samping you try to remember the notes. Drawing and colouring can help to ease your mind (only if you love arts. haha)
- You can use different colours of pen, or colour pencils and highlighters!
- Tips: tulis on lined papers not plain papers, because you tend to senget-membengetkan your tulisan after hours of studying. Do your notes nicely and neatly!
- You tend to overlooked some information
- Believe me or not, I perasan this thing about 1 to 2 weeks before our End of Block (EOB) Examination. Some of the pictures that I drawed was not the same as the pictures shown. So friends, when you draw, draw it right. Kidney is not the same as mangga ok.
- I have been thinking and I rasaaaa this this because, after hours of studying… you will get tired, then you tend to overlooked some information and take it for granted and may think that some of it not so important to you. This can lead to problems, when it comes to no-sleep week aka exam week.
- Tips: when you are tired, stop for a while. Go for solat sunat or drink some water, take a nap or sleep. Don’t go for your phone or you can get distracted…. Like me hehe
2. Typed notes!
|i dont have any picture so this is my messy table hehe|
I use this style during my block 2. The pros will be, your notes look better as it is clean and neat but it is in your own words! Yey! But, be careful to not to change the meaning of every information. Do revise your notes again and again. Using this kind of notes, you will definitely not gonna miss any pictures. Medical school need a lot of pictures for you to refer. So, pictures do a really important work here! You can add more information using sticky notes or use highlighters after you print it!
More pros? Save ink guys! Save! Sebab by doing this, you boleh resize the pictures mengikut rasa dan kesesuaian. Sebab selalunya, I prefer pathology pictures to be bigger than the biochemistry diagram. So, you can edit it there. Plus, if your lecturer jenis guna suka bunga bunga, colourful background gittew. You can use this kind of notes sebab it saves ink. Like. A. Lot.
Cons? Will be your cost for printing. Ink for printers and papers do cost a lot. Sebab you memang print je everything. Lagi lagi to those yang memang suka gambar besar-besar. So… you can think yourself. Tapi, ink depends pada your type of printer jugak la kan. If u ask me.. I am gonna say Epson is the one sebab jimat namampos ya Allah. Menyesal deh gue. Besides, you gonna be so tired. Eyes and brain, both gonna use energy a lot. Sebab you will be reading and editing and copying pictures and information. You can get headache, serious talk. And those yang tak rabun, you can develop rabun wehh. Hati hati kiddos! Tips: try to read and understand everything faster to reduce masa you hadap laptop/ipad. Or you can wear glasses yang memang guna for laptop purposes. Lastly, you can actually tend to copy paste, copy paste. Lepastu terus print tanpa baca dulu. It happens guys, It does. (to me actually) hahaha
3. Printed notes!
So, I have been choosing (???) this printed-types of notes from block 3 until now! (currently just finished block 6) sebab, by times you gonna be busy with lot of stuff. You gonna have you elective and generic classes, so I do not have much time to write or type my own notes. So, I just directly print out the notes provided by the lecturers.
Pros? I have all information provided! I am not gonna “tend to overlook” any important things emphasized by the lecturers. It saves time. (Actually, u gonna need some time to print it out jugak. Bukan la jimat habis haha). Then, you boleh tengok which lecture notes yang u still tak sentuh sebab cantik jeeeee takde any additional notes/ any contengan jalanan on the papers. So I think that is a pro for me? hehe
Cons? Money! To buy papers and inks! And it gonna cause you trouble when it is your final week!! You have to go through word by word as you read the notes without any simplified notes. That is not a smart way of studying kan? :( Tips: do a little summary at the back of the lecture notes for you to revise again after some time or before your exams started.
And, you will end up dengan 3 to 5 inch notes. Sebab, there is a lot of notes that you have printed all along the block. It is going to be hard for you to carry it everywhere. Especiallly, when you are going home. Takkan nak angkut semua berapa kilo tu
So, azam saya pada next block, my notes will be “typed noted” because I like how it turns out so nice and neat and it is moderate time-consuming. Besides, I can save SOME ink. Hahaha. Maybe I gonna need to carry that 3 to 5 inch compiled notes everywhere. But, hey technology is not for me. I like the old school style way better than notes in laptops/ipad of phones. Lagipun, if your devices terjatuh and then rosak, you gonna lose everything. Unless if you have your backup.
So, I think that is all for my post. Thank you for reading! Do you have any better way of taking notes? Or what is your most efficient way for you to manage your notes? Do share it below! Till then peeps! Ilal liqa’
p/s: new block coming very very soon!Pardon my grammar mistakes hehe